The main things you should pay attention to when choosing treatment abroad.
We often cannot find any free time for vacation or for the examination of our body, so in recent years the popularity of such a phenomenon as medical tourism, which combines rest abroad with receiving highly qualified medical care, is growing rapidly. Of course, the recreation of such a trip will not be the main goal. The main purpose is treatment. To date, recreation with a purpose of treatment is in demand among residents of economically developed countries. Patients who are tired of standing in line for qualified help in their country also visit foreign doctors. Sometimes the treatment abroad is the only possible way to recovery.
Such areas as oncology treatment, radio-surgery, orthopedics, and neurosurgery are in demand. In addition, dentistry and plastic surgery are traditionally in demand. The installation of crowns, dental implants, bridges, and veneers are very popular in stomatology. In cosmetology and plastic surgery, hair transplant surgery, breast correction, facelift, liposuction, rhinoplasty are most often performed. Recently, patients have also shown great interest in medical tourism, finding overseas doctors in the treatment of infertility or for IVF. For patients who go to doctors in Eastern Europe, surgery is needed to replace hip or knee joints, laser eye surgery, and cataract removal.
Correctly diagnosed is the key to successful treatment. If doctors from home country find it difficult to determine the diagnosis, the patient is forced to take suitcases to go in search of a quality treatment to another country. We can say that health tourism is very comfortable; it combines a pleasant with a useful. Those countries, whose main source of income is ordinary tourism, willingly support companies that organize treatment for foreign citizens.
If you decide to join the medical tourism, you need to start with the choice of the trip company. Such a company will find the right clinic and pick up a doctor. You can also contact the offices of foreign clinics in your country. Such organizations closely cooperate with colleagues abroad and offer a variety of programs aimed at improving the patient. However, patients should pay a great attention to when choosing treatment abroad. How to make the right choice and get all the expected services? Perhaps, for many people, treatment abroad seems somewhat unrealistic. Our psyche is arranged so that if the proposal is too good, then we do not believe in it and it seems untrue. This applies to all aspects of your trip, from low prices to unrealistic results. When it comes to a good proposal and patients are close to the right choice, the phrase “beware” in the head still arises. Therefore, you should always carefully examine your healthcare provider, the medical tourism industry, and your personal surgeon. Before signing up to a package of medical tourism, you need to make sure that you get the right treatment at the best price with the least risk.
You should watch out when choosing treatment abroad for some most important things.
- Check the registration of staff and surgeons. Even in the remotest countries, the medical staff is still controlled by associations, governing bodies and national health departments. Find out what registration standards are in the country you have chosen for treatment. International associations are also a good criterion, but you should be sure that membership is conditioned by standards, and not just payment of fees.
- Exceptionally low prices can sometimes serve as a signal of alarm. Of course, many countries offer private medical care at significantly lower prices than the UK and it is at the same high level of quality and sometimes better. However, if the price is much lower than the local competition, you need to find out how they can offer the same service for less money, for example, what is excluded from their treatment, which is included by all others.
- You should always have the opportunity to contact the client who was treated at your chosen clinic. Even if the clinic is completely new, it will still be able to provide you with recommendations from former patients of their surgeons and consultants. Look at the patient history and reviews from medical tourists. Try also to find feedback on independent forums, as they will give a balanced picture, not just cherry collections of the best reviews.
- In the best clinics, the latest equipment should always be present. The oldest equipment and technology is not a choice of clinics with worldwide fame. You should carefully examine your treatment or procedure that you need and make sure you know the methods and equipment that you want to have in your chosen foreign clinic.
- Make sure that your chosen clinic has experience working with visitors from around the world. This can become a small problem if the clinic has a narrow international focus. Some countries, especially in the Far East, such as South Korea specialize in health tourism from other Asian countries and cannot be targeted to, for example, British visitors.
- The absence of emergency services is one of the disadvantages of the hospital. Of course, most clinics do not have their own intensive care units or highly dependent units, but in the case of emergency, there must be one.
- Pay attention to the priorities of the health tour. No matter what the location of the clinic and how many attractions around it. However, some clinics and hospitals put the recreation in the first place. Therefore, if the clinic sells benefits from the destination or related holiday more than the treatment itself, this should cause concern. Better, pay attention to the accreditation of the hospital and experienced doctors than to the very location of the hospital.
In the end, if you are not sure about the choice of a hospital or clinic, do not worry and look for more. There are hundreds of excellent clinics around the world, so you will never have to compromise or go on a procedure with anything less than full confidence.
Patients always have the opportunity to browse the website for clinics or printed brochures. This will give them enough information about the staff of the clinic and its institutions. There you can find information about any awards that they have received and about any membership fees or accreditations that they own. Of course, you should never take this information for one hundred percent truth, and you should look for evidence and check yourself.