It is likely that pain will be felt after all on 4 implants. In addition to pain, the patient may also have swelling problems. However, it is not a situation that should be worried about.
The dentist prescribes some medications, as he predicts that the patient will have pain and swelling after the operation. If the patient uses these drugs regularly, he does not have any problems after the operation.
General anesthesia can be applied for people who are afraid of all on four implant treatment and think that they may feel pain during surgery. Although it is normally performed with local anesthesia, general anesthesia can be performed for those who have anxiety problems.
There are no painful sensations in all on 4 implant treatment. In addition to being performed with local anesthesia, it can also be performed with general anesthesia if patients have reasons such as anxiety or fear, if they request it.
However, it is possible that a slight pain sensation may occur after the anesthesia effect has passed. For such cases, doctors prescribe a painkiller to patients. If the drugs are consumed within the specified periods, no problems are encountered.
All on 4 implant technique
Dental implants are the most comfortable treatment option for solving partial or complete toothlessness situations. But after tooth loss, especially after the loss of all teeth, the jawbone suffers from loss in height and width.
In cases where this loss is severe, that is, the volume of the jawbone is much reduced, fixed prostheses can be made using 4 implants in the lower jaw and 4 in the upper jaw.
This procedure is called all on four. On the day the implants are placed, a temporary, fixed and immediate full prosthesis is prepared and placed on top of the implants.
The surgical procedure is performed in the same way as in all implant surgeries. The only difference is that the implants placed in the back area are placed at a different angle.
In cases of complete toothlessness, implants may not be placed in these areas as a result of the loss of the jawbone and the decrease in the distance between the nerve canal and the lower jaw, and the sagging of the sinus cavities in the upper jaw.
In this case, implants placed only in the anterior region with the all on four technique may be the only option for a fixed prosthesis.
Most patients with complete prosthetics cannot fully perform their chewing function over time due to the poor retention of the prosthesis, especially in the lower jaw.
What Should Be Considered After All On 4 Implant Treatment?
- It is necessary not to consume any food within 2 hours after the operation. Excessive hot or cold foods should not be consumed in the first 24 hours.
- After the procedure, pressure should be applied to the implant area with a tampon so that coagulation can occur and bleeding stops. A soft and sterile tampon should be selected.
- It is likely that there will be blood in the saliva within 24 hours after surgery. However, in this process, it is recommended to take care not to spit and not to rinse the mouth.
- It is necessary not to brush your teeth and not to gargle in the evening of the day the operation takes place.
- After 36 hours after the operation, gargling can be done twice a day. No food should be consumed for about 30 minutes after gargling.
- There should be no smoking or alcohol consumption within 24 hours after the procedure. In addition, it is recommended not to use cigarettes at all until the treatment and recovery process is completely over.
- If our doctors recommend painkillers or antibiotics; medication should be used when there are related symptoms.
- If there is bleeding in the implant area in the days after the procedure, it is sufficient to apply pressure to the relevant area with a sterile tampon.
- It should be considered normal to have swelling in the relevant area within a few days after the procedure. However, it is recommended to apply ice to the implant site so that these holes are not obvious.
- There is no need to visit our doctors to get stitches later in the treatment of seamless implants. However, if there are seams that do not melt on their own; the seams should be removed after 5 or 7 days.
- In case of any problems with the implant, it is necessary to contact the doctor without delay.
Hatice Şahin, a dentist, was born in Istanbul in 1996. In 2012, she attended English language classes in Canada. She received a certificate of honour from Istanbul Medipol University International School of Dentistry that same year.